23 October 2008

Almunia under no pressure as captain


By Jonathan Chong on Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Goalkeeper Manuel Almunia says that he is under no pressure as captain and actually relishes the responsibility that comes with wearing the armband.

The Spaniard took the armband from defender Kolo Touré when the Ivory Coast international went off injured at half-time.

Almunia said: "I am very proud to wear the armband. It is an honour. I am a bit surprised because although I am the oldest player on the pitch, I have not been at the club the longest.

"But it is nice because it means I have done well and I have the confidence of the manager.

"I will try to defend Arsenal 100 per cent and try to help my team in every aspect of the game.

"We expect a team like Fenerbahce to put some pressure on us in the first 15 minutes with all the crowd behind them but we have the experience to remain calm and defend well. It will be crucial to keep a clean sheet for the first 15 minutes.

"It is true I have a bit more responsibility but no pressure. But the only pressure on me is the same one I get every Saturday.

"I am very proud to wear the armband. I hope I can command my defence from behind and help my team get the points."

No comments:

e-comp Headline Animator

Custom Search